December 18, 2009

Hokusai Katsushika

Hokusai Katsushika (October or November 1760–May 10, 1849) is one of my favorite artist.He found a success in ukiyo-e painting and printed at Edo period.
He was a big infuluence on Vincent van Gogh,Claude Monet,Edgar Degas who were impressionnisme in 19century in Europe.

As you know already,he painted many Mt.Fuji.The Great Wave off Kanagawa is the most famous print in his series 36 views of Mount Fuji.

For me,what is love about him is his composition.
Every his artwork was well calculated.So I feel comfortable when I see his art.

Apparently the composition and construction pretty much decides whether good art or not.He used a golden section,measurement,a lot of geometric shapes.He thought he could draw everything by circle and triangle.

I’ll show you something.



At first,you put diagonal line, then you put the middle point of compass at lower corner of left side.The tip of billow and the top of Mt.Fuji are located at intersection point between the arc and diagonal line.Amazing!





This one,I put Golden section ruler two ways. Either way he got all important point.And separation of canvas is perfectly done. Unbelievable!

I cannot believe that he did without knowing.I’m sure he intended.

That's why he gave to us a big impact and impressions.So I admire him so much.
The great work must have some reason.